Sunday, August 26, 2012

Searching For Breakfast


For a lot of riders, the Sunday Brunch Ride is the one time they get to ride during an average week.  Biker bars and restaurants have long encouraged this practice as it provides a bit of extra income on an otherwise slow day.  This morning I decided to check out a couple spots which I heard were popular with local riders, in hopes of finding some other vintage bikes.

First stop was an Irish Pub over in Durham called James Joyce.  I'd been told by a few other bikers that a group of vintage British riders met up there on Sunday's.  I've always liked old Triumph's and Norton's, so I decided to hit there first.


I arrived just after 9:00 to find the place completely deserted.  Not a single bike in the parking lot, in fact the bar was not even open.  I asked a couple people walking by if a lot of bikes showed up here on Sunday's, but no one seemed to have a clue.  Checking their website, I found that they opened at 10:00.  I figured bikes would be showing up soon, so I grabbed a drink from a nearby gas station and sat down across the street to wait.

The minutes ticked past 10:00 and there still wasn't anything sign of the bar opening.  I spotted someone working at a restaurant down the block and asked about when the bikes showed up.  I was told that the bar now opens at 11:30 on Sunday's and that the bikes don't show up anymore.  So it was back on the bike and on to the next stop.

My second stop of the day was the Village Diner down in Hillsborough.  I'd seen advertisements all summer about a biker brunch at the Village Diner and figured there had to be a least a few bikes still left, even though it was getting close to 11:00.


Pulling into the parking lot, I was the only bike to be seen.  At least the restaurant was open this time...


So today's search for vintage bikes was a total bust.  Hopefully I'll have better luck next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment