Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Auxiliary Rear Lighting - Brackets

Fabricating the proper brackets to hold the rear lights took a little more trial and error than I expected.  I started with a set of brackets made from 1 inch aluminum bar stock, but they didn't position the lights high enough to avoid hitting the battery cover when the seat bottomed out.  These vintage lights have glass lenses, so proper clearance is essential.


Next I fabricated a set of brackets out of 1 inch aluminum angle.  I drilled several mounting holes in the brackets to experiment with different locations for the lights.


Now that's more like it.  Look at the difference between the two brackets.  Notice that the angle bracket brings the rear light up against the T-bar for maximum clearance between the bottom of the light and the battery cover.


With the spacing set, I mounted the other light and bracket.


Here's a shot with the seat.  I think this is going to work out well.


Next step will be wiring up the lights...


No comments:

Post a Comment