Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How to "Spot" a Panhead

With my upcoming trip to the mountains of NC for the AMCA Southern Coalition National Road Run, I decided it was time to figure out how to mount my Spot Satellite GPS Messenger.  I'll write up a more detailed review of the Spot after I've used it, but basically it is a hand-held satellite tracking device.


I picked up a standard RAM mount which is designed for mounting the Spot to your handlebars, although I had no plans on putting it on my handlebars.  It's a panhead not a BMW...


I figured the best place to mount the Spot was somewhere towards the center of the bike where there wouldn't be too much heat from the motor and a less vibrations from the road.  I finally decided on mounting it to the rear crash bars.  This positioned the Spot just in front of my left saddlebag, but put it low enough that I could still open the lid to the saddlebag.  It also doesn't stick out so much...

Installing the RAM mount only takes about 5 minutes.  I just tightened the two lock nuts on the base with a 7/16" wrench to attach it to the rear crash bar.  Then I positioned the Spot and tightened the center thumb screw to hold it in place.  That's it.



No comments:

Post a Comment